- CARNE SECA LEAD FOODS - 500g
- Bay leaves - 6
- PAIO LEAD FOODS - 340g
- Chopped Onions - 2
- CALABRESA LEAD FOODS - 375g
- Fresh Kale/Collard Greens - A Bunch
- Smoked Pork Hock (optional) - 500g
- Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- Dry Black Beans - 900g
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- White rice - 1 cup
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- White Wine - 1 cup
- In a large pan, soak the Black beans in lukewarm water for 2 hours. Drain the water.
- De-salt the Carne Seca (see instructions on back label of the package). Dice the Carne Seca in 1 inch cubes after de-salted.
- Slice the sausages in 3/8 inch slices.
- In an large electric pressure cooker (8 qt), add the Bay leaves, drained black beans, one chopped onion, diced Carne Seca, sliced smoked sausages, smoked pork hock, and 3 litres of water (or until cover ingredients by one inch). Cook for 30 minutes in high pressure.
- After cooking time, and pressure release, safely open the lid. De-bone the smoked pork hock, and put the meat back into the stew.
- Bring the electric pressure cooker back on, to a boil (keep it open, no lid).
- Add one tea spoon of Cumin (or to taste), and one tea spoon of Black pepper.
- Check for flavor, and adjust to your preference (some people add Garlic at this stage).
- Add the white wine.
- Finish cooking by establishing how thick you want the broth to be.
Stir Fried Kale or Collard Greens
Chop the fresh kale/Collard greens in small strips. Stir-fry one chopped onion with olive oil, then add the chopped kale/Collard greens. Cook until it is tender. Reserve.
In a small cooking pan, bring two cups of water to a broil. In a sieve, wash one cup of white rice in running water. Cook the white rice for 10 minutes in medium heat. Turn the heat of, close the lid. Wait for 10 minutes before serving. Reserve.
Serve the Black beans stew in a large bowl, with the stir-fried kale and rice (as shown on front label of Carne Seca). Optionally, you can also serve FAROFA (roasted cassava flour) on the side.
This recipe serves 10 to 15 people, and the Feijoada can be frozen for further consumption.