- CARNE SECA LEAD FOODS - 500 g
- Corn based Cuscuz flour (Flaked corn meal) - 250 g
- Sliced Onion - 1
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- De-salt the Carne Seca (see instructions on back label of the package), then pressure cook it for 25 minutes. After cooked, shred it by hand to make it flossy. Reserve.
- Hydrate the Cuscuz flour by mixing with one cup of water (add more water depending on your personal preference). Reserve, for at least 10 minutes.
- In a medium pan, add the Olive oil, then stir fry the sliced onion for 4-5 minutes. Add the previously cooked and shredded Carne Seca. Stir fry for another 5 minutes. Add chopped cilantro to taste. Add Black pepper to taste. Turn the heat off. Reserve.
- In a steamer pan (Cuscuzeira), add water enough to make steam for 20 minutes, than place the basket (or grille).
- Divide the previously hydrated Cuscuz flour into two portions, one for the bottom, one for the top, then place the stir fried Carne Seca with onions and cilantro in the middle.
- Close with lid, and let it cook in medium heat for about 12-15 minutes, or until you start smelling the cooked corn flour.
- Turn the heat off, and let it sit for about 8-10 minutes.
- You can either serve it scooping out the three layers from the steamer pan, or you also can mix everything together in a large bowl.
Enjoy one of the most popular dishes of the Northeastern region of Brazil.
This recipe serves 4-5 people.